Do something thrilling

So, how’s it going?

Are you where you wanted to be at this age?  Are you at a place in life you expected to be?  How are your fulfillment levels?  Do you feel plugged in to your work?  Your relationships?  Your community?  Do you care?

I ask these questions because they all impact your levels of motivation, and the courage you need to instigate positive change in your life.  I know if I had read those Q’s a few short years ago, I would’ve started crying and feeling like I had failed myself.  (which is a super lame way to feel)  For me it was only a phase ~ but it was enough to remind me that it’s my job to stay plugged in.  To choose to occupy space and time in a way that brings a real aliveness to every. single. day.

It’s my job to be awesome and invite things like edgework, adventure, and uncertainty into my life, because I only have a finite amount of time, and because no one’s going to be awesome for me.  And when I do that, when it’s part of how I live, I am more fulfilled, engaged, and carried through each day by an exciting inertia that almost takes on a life of it’s own.

With that in mind, I made a brief film with my iPhone three days ago when I was standing on a mountain peak up in the Andes overlooking the remote Incan ruins of Machu Picchu.  The ruins themselves are astounding, and there are other, smaller peaks nearby which we could’ve climbed.

But we decided to tackle the big one.

Because it sounded like an awesome and daunting idea.

Because you can choose the easy route, or you can choose to get your ass kicked for the sake of an

enormously

satisfying

payoff.

Because it sounded thrilling.

{this vid shows up larger and easier to view in Youtube if you wanna click on over…}

Some people preach that you should do one thing every day that scares you.

I say do one thing that thrills you.

If you find yourself responding to someone’s idea with the words, “That sounds so. freaking. amazing.” then go do it!

Seriously!  Please!  Go do something fun and thrilling and life-affirming.  And then repeat regularly.  Don’t waste your time playing small.  It doesn’t have to be summitting mountains…it can be speaking in front of a crowd, learning to drive a car at 30 (or 40 or 50).   It can be taking your first international flight, or learning to scuba dive.  It can be telling someone you love them for the first time.

Just pick one thing that sounds like a freaking awesome idea ~ that sounds thrilling to you ~ and then tell me what you’re going to do about it in the comments below.  (and send pictures!)

Please tweet about this post if it floats your boat!  Here’s some tweets to make it easy for you, o adventurous one….

Do something thrilling! Video from the top of an Andean mountain peak: http://ow.ly/axf6n via @heatherlyone

What’s one thing that would thrill your pants off? http://ow.ly/axf6n via @heatherlyone

Me n’ @heatherlyone are going all “carpe diem”…wanna join? http://ow.ly/axf6n

Do one thing that scares you every day?  How about do one thing that thrills you! http://ow.ly/axf6n via @heatherlyone {VIDEO}

Join the Republic to get the straight talk delivered directly to your inbox
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 15 comments… add one }

• Gabrielle April 27, 2012, 3:56 am

I’m going to walk the Camino de Santiago in Spain next May!

• Heather April 27, 2012, 2:48 pm

Wow, Gabrielle, that sounds awesome! It’s something I’d love to do in future as well. Thanks for your comment!

• Stormy @Maoomba April 30, 2012, 8:34 pm

Hear, hear, Heather! We all need to have thrills like what you just shared – absolutely gorgeous. My husband and I decided early in our relationship that we were going to retire every 5 years and do something big. It’s almost worked out that way – instead we live fairly unconventionally (as far as most people are concerned) and seek thrills more often. We are excited for our next adventure: a trip to Tibet in a couple of months!

• Sheila April 30, 2012, 10:35 pm

Love the view, thank you, Heather, for showing us around! I had a friend go to Machu Picchu last year and said it was an amazing spiritual experience and now that you have shown me the view, I can understand why – absolutely goregous creation! I do love to travel although lately they have been short road trips, yet adventures for my soul none the less!

• Erika May 1, 2012, 5:08 pm

Oh wow, love the view! Thanks for sharing. What I have learned from experience is to always go through my fears because fear and thrill feel the same to me – with the tingling and butterflies in the stomach and afterwards I feel like I grew an inch :)

• Heather Lentz | We Be Healthy May 1, 2012, 8:26 pm

Machu Picchu looks fantastic! I have a fear of heights, so thats probably as close as I’m gonna get to the top. Recently my husband, daughter and I created a fun list. We sat down and came up with things that we could do that were fun like go snorkeling, fishing, fly a kite, air balloon ride, etc. Somethings were thrilling, but all were fun. I can’t wait to start on our list. Maybe we will make a thrilling list too! ;-)

• Sarah Yost May 1, 2012, 9:18 pm

Oh. My. Lord. So insanely beautiful. Except that drop off. That made my vertigo freak out. Also, I love this line: IT’S MY JOB TO BE AWESOME. Hells yes.

• Christie Halmick | Jewels Branch Creative May 1, 2012, 9:55 pm

Heather – I love how you’ve re-framed the “do something that scares you” to do “do something thrilling”! That works for me so I’m going to use it! And Machu Picchu looks and sound amazing! Something that sounds thrilling to me right now is finishing up my first online course and putting it out in the world.

• Yvette May 2, 2012, 1:44 am

Wow, stunning! Visiting, Peru Macho Picchu is on my bucket list of places I’d like to visit and explore. I love your take on doing something that thrills you. You have inspired me to start a “Thrilling Things To Do In The Next Year” list! Great post!!

• Heather May 2, 2012, 5:41 pm

Stormy, Sheila, Erika, Heather, Sarah, Christie and Yvette! Thanks SO much for your comments. So happy you liked the video and even happier to hear about the things that thrill you…that you plan to do. Woohoo!

• Anastasia Valentine May 2, 2012, 9:12 pm

Carpe OMNIA my dear! I can’t wait to share my next adventure with you in Iceland this year! Seeing the beauty in your video I’m thinking it is time to book your next retreat. Machu Picchu is on my “bucket list” and is a must do! I’ve always been on the edge and tried new things, traveled alone to places others have only dreamed of…but never did I hear the term “edgework” Definitely something I need to explore in my next step, leap, next great attempt to Carpe OMNIA! Muah!

• Jennifer Peek | Creative Business Strategist May 2, 2012, 11:24 pm

Oh yeah! Traveling is one of our big things…so is live music. We started making excitement part of our family credo nearly seven years ago and haven’t looked back.

It’s exactly what you say “…Go do something fun and thrilling and life-affirming. And then repeat regularly. Don’t waste your time playing small. It doesn’t have to be summitting mountains…”

Thanks for the reminder and the adrenaline rush to go along with it!

• Amber May 3, 2012, 3:23 am

I’m so with you on this: Go do something fun and thrilling and life-affirming. And then repeat regularly. Don’t waste your time playing small.

I’m going to step it up tomorrow too… Brainstorming ideas now! Total inspiration.

• Kathleen Prophet May 3, 2012, 3:33 am

MAGnificent, Heather! YES!! LOVE your self realization…. and your seeeeeeizing of LIFE and reality that makes you feel ALIVE! and sharing it with US… your PEEPS! This statement struck me deeeep…. “it was enough to remind me that it’s my job to stay plugged in. To choose to occupy space and time in a way that brings a real aliveness to every. single. day.”

Your questions I can honestly answer…
    Are you at a place in life you expected to be? No! so much BETTER! How are your fulfillment levels? My fulfillment levels are HIGH! Do you feel plugged in to your work? I am finally plugged into my life’s passion and it is RICH! Your relationships? My relationships are exquisite. Your community? My community exceptional! Do you care? I have never cared more or been cared about.
    Thank YOU for your tremendous expression of Self in the act of fully realizing itself! Exquisite, Heather!

Wish I was going to Iceland with you! keep me posted on your future journeys! xo

• Heather May 3, 2012, 3:32 pm

Anastasia, I LOVE your response! Carpe OMNIA for sure!! Jennifer – I’m with you on the live music thing as well. It’s a really magical kind of thrill, no? Glad to inspire, Amber – so easily we get caught up in the day-to-day ho hum of things. Kathleen, you’re such a legend! I love how we are on the same page and THANK YOU for answering my initial questions. You’re right where you’re supposed to be and set an amazing example for all of those around you. Thank you all for your comments – you ROCK!

Email Address First Name